Creative Brooding

Welcome to my blog. My name is Pat O'Connor and I wanted to create one little spot where I could share feelings, thoughts, even ramble if I want to. Perhaps too, reveal a side of me very few know about. If there are two words I would use to describe myself, those two would be iconoclastic and eclectic.

Friday, January 26, 2007


Anger - A Few Random Thoughts

I originally posted this on another blog, but felt it was important enough that I wanted to share it here as well.

It is 3:00am; Sunday Morning with the only sound is the clicking of the keyboard and the mellow sounds of BB King echoing throughout the stillness of the night.. What a beautiful time of the day, nourishing solitude and a special time for reflection.

Home at last after another week of being poked, prodded, disrupted and cut. I can’t help but wonder how long I’ll be able to stay out this time, and I remember what Dr. Stewart said about being caught in the cycle. For me the cycle goes only downward, and my eyes look upward, not downward.

We had an interesting incident in the Lipedema group this week, and I bade farewell to the group I founded. There was a member that simply in absolute anger went berserk over the fact that I questioned them on some treatment they had suggested.

How very very say to be so driven and consumed by such an emotion as anger. I have struggled against lymphedema, lymphoma, leukopenia…but there are worse things you can have…anger, bitterness and fear.

Those emotions have destroyed more lives then all the wars of human history combined and life is far too short to be eaten up by them.

It is easy to become angry when you have a serious illness and actually it is quite normal. What isn’t normal and what can be totally destructive is when you allow the anger to be predominant in your emotions.

Choose your path…choose your destiny…no matter what condition or situation your are in, you still have a choice.

Choose anger…and you choose death…lonliness….bitterness.

It may not be your fault, indeed it is probably no one’s fault that you have a terrible medical condition. But, it is your responsibility how you react to it.

You can also choose to be a blessing to others, or to be a curse. You can be remembered in their hearts with sweetness or with a relief that you are gone.

When you are consumed in anger, I do not have compassion for you or your medical condition. I do feel sorry for those who are going to be your victims. Those innocent people who come across your path that you hurt and lash out at to make yourself feel better. What a coward’s way to face life and you certainly don't have the right to take out your anger on others.
Some interesting quotes about anger:


If you do not wish to be prone to anger, do not feed the habit; give it nothing which may tend to its increase.
Epictetus (55 AD - 135 AD)


Speak when you are angry--and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret.
Laurence J. Peter (1919 - 1988)


When anger rises, think of the consequences.
Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC)


He who angers you conquers you. My mother used to say, "He who angers you, conquers you!" But my mother was a saint.
Elizabeth Kenney


Of the Seven Deadly Sins, anger is possibly the most fun. To lick your wounds, to smack your lips over grievances long past, to roll over your tongue the prospect of bitter confrontations still to come, to savor to the last toothsome morsel both the pain you are given and the pain you are giving back -- in many ways it is a feast fit for a king. The chief drawback is that what you are wolfing down is yourself. The skeleton at the feast is you.
Frederick Beuchner


How much more grievous are the consequences of anger than the causes of it.
Marcus Aurelius


People who fly into a rage always make a bad landing.
Will Rogers


Anger dwells only in the bosom of fools.
Albert Einstein


If you kick a stone in anger, you'll hurt your own foot.
Korean Proverb


Anger is a killing thing: it kills the man who angers, for each rage leaves him less than he had been before - it takes something from him.
Louis L'Armour


Consider how much more you often suffer from your anger and grief, than from those very things for which you are angry and grieved.
Marcus Antonius


Anger is the handmaiden of self-pity and the toxin of death.
Pat O'Connor


When you were born, the world rejoiced and you cried. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Old Cherokee Proverb


Pat O'Connor
01/21/2007

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home