Creative Brooding

Welcome to my blog. My name is Pat O'Connor and I wanted to create one little spot where I could share feelings, thoughts, even ramble if I want to. Perhaps too, reveal a side of me very few know about. If there are two words I would use to describe myself, those two would be iconoclastic and eclectic.

Sunday, February 25, 2007


Connor Ryan Dant


Born: October 15, 2006
.
Enough of the sad songs, and melancholy moods for it is long past time that I introduce the world to my first grandchild, Connor Ryan Dant, born on October 15, 2006.
.
In February 2006, before my daughter Emily, knew she was pregnant, she had brought over a six week old half Labrador half Australian shepard puppy to show me. I could not believe she had gotten this little pup as she already has two Shelties and a Lab. Before even thinking, I said, "Emily, what in the world are you going to do with a new puppy and a baby?"
.
How very prophetic those words turned out to be. One week later, she called me and said, "Uh, dad, I'm pregnant!"
.
Now of course, I was the humble dad, never once uttering, "I told you so."
.
But, needless to say this old man was bouncing off the wall at the thought of a grandchild.
.
I was excited too because in my heart, I just knew that Emily was going to be a great mom, and her hubby Shaun would be a great dad. That little baby would be surrounded by two families of nuturing love.
.
Emily was a perfect example of the old adage that there is something especially beautiful about a pregnant woman and I was very proud of her that she took such good care of herself, managed to survive the oppressive Summer heat that we have here in Atlanta and still keep her sense of humor and her smile.
.
Poor Em is tall and skinny, so she carried Connor right out front. By the time he was born, it looked like someone had stuffed a super sized pumpkin in her tummy.
.
Spring and Summer quickly slipped away and the Autumn winds blew a new season into our lives.
.
It was Sunday morning when we got the call that Emily and Shaun had gone to the hospital. Of course, I very calmly got ready and without breaking any speed limits, her brother Patrick and I headed for the hospital.
.
There were a number of close friends that joined us and we waited and waited and waited. Finally, at 12:47 in the afternoon, Connor made his grand debut wighing in at 7 pounds 7 ounces and 18 1/2 inches in length.
.
Now, I told myself I was going to keep a stiff upper lip when I got to hold him. Right...I was quickly turned into mush gazing at this beautiful little miracle.
.
It is so hard to believe that he is now fourth months old. OK, so I know I am the grandpa, but he just gets cuter and cuter as time goes by. He is now so responsive and tries so hard with his little sounds to tell you tall tales.
.
We have just past some milestones too. Recently he had his first cereal and now his first bananas. He is growing so quickly and changing day by day.
.
I can't wait to see what type of person he becomes, what his values to be, his dreams, visions and goals are going to be. In the meantime though, I'm just going to enjoy being grandpa. Thank you, my beloved daughter for this gift you have given not only to me, but to the world.

"A Grandson is the greatest gift. A lifetime can provide, A special joy that comes from deep inside. A Grandson is a blessing and a constant source of happiness and pride."

"Grandchildren are a lift for the spirit and a joy for the heart. We all tell the next generation the praise worthy deeds of the Lord.... then they will put their trust in God. Psalm 78-4b-7a"

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home